Application note: We suggest working on the application in a word processor like Google Docs or Word, and then copying and pasting answers into the form linked to the buttons on this page, so you can work on the application over time.
A preview of types of questions you’ll answer, and documents requested:
- Uploads of Resume, Cover Letter, Portfolio
- Upload a document list that links to any samples of your work (TikToks/Reels, Copy, Instagram Profiles, Writing Samples etc.) that you would like to share with us.
- Share about your commitment to abolition, work style, your knowledge of Measure J, experience in grassroots coalition spaces, and your policy analysis skills.
- Share about your experience with running social media channels, long term strategic planning, organizing, and earned media.
Time estimation: We know everyone has their own pace for working on application materials. We estimate that this application process may take up to several hours.
The Re-Imagine LA Communications Strategist is a permanent, full-time, exempt position that primarily handles the communications strategy, message development, and digital project management of the Re-Imagine Los Angeles (RELA) coalition communications efforts. This role will work closely with the RELA coordinating staff and the Media and Communications team to collaborate on social media and website planning as well as copy, creative planning, and earned media efforts that translate the robust policy efforts of the RELA Coalition into accessible and engaging copy across various mediums. This role reports directly to the Policy & Advocacy Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Social Media, Email Marketing, and & Project Management
- Strategically plans and executes the messaging of the RELA Coalition effort across social media channels and email campaigns.
- Coordinate and bottom-line projects that are multifaceted in nature, including syncing with multiple collaborators, meeting varied and frequent deadlines, and triaging work into a scope and sequence to address tasks based on their urgency
- Work with graphic designers and multimedia specialists to develop concepts for social media and website creative content; conduct research and write associated copy for related content
- Align Re-Imagine LA social media content to campaign strategy; align the needs of the policy team with the production capabilities of the digital team to produce content in a timely and coordinated fashion
- Respond to policy and news inflection points in partnership with the Policy and Digital Media teams; co-create meaningful content about relevant news issues and current affairs
- Identify, establish, and maintain organizational relationships with key ecosystem partners such as social justice thinkers and creative partners
Earned Media Outreach
- Work closely with the Communications Director to strategize, ideate, and pitch earned media stories on behalf of the Re-Imagine LA Coalition
- Pitch Re-Imagine LA earned media content in, but not limited to, Spanish, including reported pieces, broadcast pieces, podcasts, radio shows, print pieces, press releases, and op-eds
- Co-Plan earned media trainings for the RELA Coalition members that help build new spokespeople
- Co-develop narrative shift messaging and trainings in response to opposition narratives like “tough-on-crime” and “rise-in-violence”
- Co-Align earned media efforts to campaign strategy based on participation in policy calls and Coalition campaign planning calls
- Co-plan and co-organize press rallies, briefings, and other media engagement events
- Participate in and (co)lead informational interviews with reporters to build relationships in the media landscape and soft-pitch RELA stories
Language Justice Strategy & Leadership
- Thought partner with Language Justice leaders and trainers about how to further the implementation of Language Justice practices at La Defensa and in the Re-Imagine LA Coalition
- Conduct Language Justice trainings for staff and Coalition members when appropriate
- Sustainably and intentionally execute the integration of Language Justice practices into RELA communications practices
General Coalition Comms Support
- Write copy for toolkits, reports, and informational collateral in partnership with the Policy Team where needed
- Collaborate with appropriate teams to plan for Coalition strategy sessions, mobilizations, and policy and pilot program inflection points
Policy & Community Partnerships Support
- Attend Board of Supervisors and CFCI Meetings to connect with the press, give public comment, and have a line of sight for developing communications collateral
- Attend meetings with County Departments and Board Offices where appropriate to align policy and communications strategies
- Attend fundraising pitches and meetings and support with collateral development where appropriate
- Support with Coalition base-building; align communications and base-building where relevant; support with digital base-building
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Other duties as requested by the La Defensa leadership team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
La Defensa prioritizes hiring applicants who have lived experience and/or identify as impacted by the injustice system and survivors of state-sanctioned harm. Previous experience of at least 3-4 years managing social media and digital communications in a political organizing context is required.
In addition to direct experience managing digital communications, community organizing, public policy, racial, gender, and sexuality justice movement experience is also critical. Candidates with evident dedication to abolitionist movement work are preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Strong writing, verbal communication, and creative skills. Knowledge of local, state, and federal policy that impacts injustice system reforms and abolitionist efforts in Los Angeles County and California preferred. Candidates should understand the issues within abolitionist, intersectional feminist, and antiracist movements.
The candidate must be able to work independently as well as be a team player who supports others collaboratively, be exceedingly well organized, flexible, and enjoy the challenges of supporting the media and communication needs of a decentralized team.
Candidates fluent in Spanish are encouraged to apply.
The Re-Imagine LA Communications Specialist works closely with the Policy and Advocacy Manager, the Communications Director, the Digital Media Manager, and the Social Media Specialist, and collaboratively with staff, contractors, vendors, coalition partners, local and state legislators, and policymakers.
Travel may be required. Must have reliable transportation. Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Accommodations can be provided upon request.
This is a remote telecommute position that requires travel, especially within Los Angeles County and California. Work hours, depending on circumstances, may sometimes be odd and include occasional night or weekend assignments. The La Defensa team meets frequently for in-person strategy sessions, team-building retreats, and other organization-related events and activities.
Starting at $86,100/year. Depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
All interested individuals should follow this link to submit their cover letters and resumes by FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 2024. All qualified applicants will receive an invitation to schedule a virtual interview within 3 weeks of the closing date.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
La Defensa is an equal-opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Non-binary communities, especially those impacted by the injustice system. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition, including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also, pursuant to the California Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.